Just a little bit on cold sores. Cold sores are annoying and embarrassing due to its nature. Visually you cannot cover the cracks or blisters on your lips or cheeks or the nose due to the presence of the scab. Well you and we are in the same boat when it comes to the scabs as we tend to scratch or peel it off due to itchiness. Unfortunately scratching and picking the scabs will only make it worse and slow down the healing process. We also do have guide on the cold sore scab.
There are different steps you can take to educate yourself so that you can know how to get rid of a cold sore scab.
Brief points on the cold sores:
- Try to figure if you actually have a scab peeling off. If you do then it’s a symptom that’s its slowly healing. OK this is how it goes. The cold sores need to heal themselves from the inside, so how does it protect itself? Its by forming the well-known scab so as to speed the healing and protect the damage.
- Stay away from touching it. We know its going to be hard. The reason being, if you touch the infected area with your fingers and then touch any other part of your body, then there is a chance you may spread the virus called herpes simplex. You can go ahead and touch the scab when you apply a cream or are treating it.
- Make sure the infected area is kept clean. While washing your face make sure not touch the scab area. Also make sure to clean your hands with an antibacterial soap. What you can do is gently touch the area around the scab and slowly touch it with a towel. Make sure to put your towel for washing and use another one and again wash your hands.
- The use of a proven ointment. For this it’s better to check with your local area clinic as each clinic provides their well proven once, such as some will recommend lidocaine or alcohol related products. They will tend to ease the itching and will soften the scab and increase the healing process.
- Get a jelly such as the Vaseline petroleum jelly. These can be bought from a local store. You can use these to soften the scab and prevent it from cracking. Now i can vouch for this as i have used them and it works.
- Study shows that you could also use ice and other ointments to numb the scab area which will also give relief in itching.
Let’s get to a little bit in depth on this.
You know that tingling sensation you may feeling now? That actually means you will be having a new bunch of blisters being set to erupt.
This is usually caused by a virus called herpes simplex. Most of the time this virus is spread through contact however this can also be spread with oral sex. You need to be careful and take care on this. This virus will usually stay dormant in us until it gets triggered. Say for example, a dry skin tone, or illness or sometimes stress will trigger them up. So the best way would be to avoid them in the first place.
- You need to spot it as early as possible:
You done have to wait and see until it completes. The best precaution is the getting treatment for your sores quickly.
Make sure you keep an eye on the sensation you have, usually in the first stage. This usually includes something like itchiness, funny sensations, and soreness. If you do then its better to get a doc quickly.
- Antiviral solutions:
The best treatment for a cold sore is to have clear treatment in the beginning stages with a proven medicine or ointment. Other common solution is take a regimen pill twice in a day. One in the morning and then later during the day. This will hit up the virus left and right, which will prevent the virus in speading and can speed up your healing.
- Use a Steroid Cream:
In addition to using other medications, using steroid cream will benefit in the treatment. This will help reduce the sores getting inflamed and will certainly reduce the itchiness and pain.
- Going to the next level:
Usually the sores respond well to your treatment if you would have done something about it in the early stages. However if you would have waited for long, there are still some things you can do to feel better.
There is a solution called domeboro, which you can fetch from your local store. Use the tablet or the powder and dissolve it in few ounces of water. After then you need to use a handkerchief or
a small cloth and dip it into the glass and place it on the scabbed area for about 10 to 30 mins. Make sure you do this at least for two or three times a day. The reason you need to do this is because it will help in absorbing the moisture from the blisters. After you have them dried out then you can use a solution like Neosporin.
- Protect your hands.
Always make sure you keep your hands clear of the blisters as they are packed with deadly virus we are talking about which can spread to other locations.
Due to this, the infections can take longer to heal due to picking at it and which can lead to scarring.
If at all your blisters still continue for about two to three weeks, then it would be better if you could consult a doctor, who will prescribe you an ointment or antibiotic.
Hope you take into consideration the points given here on the how to get rid of a Cold Sore Scab